Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Henna

So I did the henna treatment nearly a week ago. I intended to show you a before, during, and after pictures, but with the poor lighting I have, you couldn't tell the difference in color in my pictures (v_v). I will share with you, however, what I mixed into my henna and the video I took of my mom applying the henna to my hair for me (she volunteered).

WARNING: Henna WILL stain your hands; WEAR GLOVES!! WARNING: Henna WILL stain your hands; WEAR GLOVES!!

What I used:

  • Plastic bowl
  • Henna Powder
  • Plastic spoon
  • Bottled lemon juice
  • Saran Wrap
  • Conditioner

What I did:

  1. Empty henna into the plastic bowl. (It is recomended that you use a plastic or ceramic bowl to mix your henna in because the henna may react with a metal bowl and a wooden bowl would stain because it is a porous material).
  2. Add lemon juice to the henna until I had the consistency of mashed potatoes.
  3. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and leavit to sit for several hours at room temperature so that the dye can release. (I left mine for approximately 10 hours)
  4. When you are ready to apply, add more lemon juice to make it the consistency of pudding, then add conditioner so that the lemon juice won't dry out the hair too much.
  5. I can't stress this enough...USE GLOVES WHEN APPLYING!
  6. Separate hair into easier to manage sections and apply henna to each section. Make sure all hair is covered and saturated.
  7. When all of your hair is covered, clean up you hair line with a wet paper towel and cover hair with a shower cap/plastic bag/saran wrap (whichever you feel like) and leave on for 3 to 5 hours.
  8. There is nothing special about rinsing out the henna. Rinse as you would a conditioner and be sure to use gloves. Rinse until you see the water run clear.
  9. Congratulations! You're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment