Friday, October 23, 2009

10 weeks/Hubby knows

Today marks 10 weeks since I've been locced and I finally told my boyfriend (whom I will refer to as N) that I locced my hair.

N and I have been together (we have a long-distance relationship) since I was 15; my Sophomore year in High School. Next month will actually mark 6 years since we've been together. From the time we met he'd always liked my long hair. This summer when I decided to cut it, I didn't tell him anything about what I was planning to do because it was something I really wanted to do and I knew he would talk me out of it.

The way I broke it to him was just letting him see it. He was flying in for the week and I had to pick him up from the airport so I wore a hoodie and wore my hood up. He didn't notice it for a while, we'd driven out of Laguardia and into Brooklyn before he started to give in to his habit of stroking my hair. So he pulled off my hood, paused, and said "WTF?!" Needless to say he was a little devastated and mad initially. Eventually he got over it, said "I think you're beautiful no matter what" (or something to that effect), and he just accepted it. I think he secretly still resented me for it though.

I knew he didn't like short hair, so I knew how he would likely reacted to the cut, but I had no idea how he felt about locs. I was wary about telling him that I wanted to loc it. I didn't want him to be devastated again and locs are more permanent than a cut so it would be something he would have to face for a longer period of time. So I didn't tell him. I didn't have a plan of action; I just didn't tell him. Until this week...

I decided that 10 weeks is long enough. I BBMed him to tell him. This was basically how the convo went:
Me: what if I cut my hair shorter
N: WHAT?! EWW!! NO!! TELL ME YOU DIDN'T!!
Me: no...I didn't cut it again. But now that you have that picture in your mind of what you really don't want, what if I did something else?
N: like what?
Me: (sent picture below) N: wow! I love it!

So I guess I was worried for nothing. I finally told him and he loves it. That made my week!

No comments:

Post a Comment